I liked this article so much I am going to buy this woman’s book HOW TO BE SICK Toni Bernhard. Thank you EDS Info for posting this.
A poignant piece by Toni Bernhard:
What chronic pain and illness make me miss the most:
- The ability to be spontaneous.
- Being actively involved in the life of my family.
- Time in nature.
- The ability to pursue my former interests.
- The ability to putter around the house, engaging in pleasurable tasks.
- Health not being the topic of conversation.
I’m sure we can all relate to these losses, but to me, #8 is the worst. Not only is my health the topic of conversation with others, it’s also an almost constant topic of conversation with myself. When my pain has me squirming and exhausted so much of the time, all I can think of is “How can I make this better?”.